Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:39 AM   #1

I have resisted the urge to post this question because it seems like everyone asks it, but I am now coming to the end of my researching and I really need to bite the pullet and pick a DSLR. I am desperate for anyknowledgable input that could be provided.

I have been looking at buying a digital SLR for about a year and a half and have finally saved up enough to purchase one. I am anovice when it comes to digital photography (although have excellent computer skills) to say theleast.

I have decided to purchase adigital camera as itseems to be the most cost effective and versatile option in the long run. I used to study black and white photography in high school and would like to take it back up again. I am looking to a good all round camera that will allow me to grow skill wise but also good to use ineveryday situations.

I have narrowed it down to three cameras, Pentax ist*, Canon 350D and the Konica Minolta 5D. For a long time I was in favour of the Canon but last week whilst researching prices I was shown the Konica and was impressed with the features (especially anti shock) and the feel. I am looking for any advice or user experiences that will help me narrow my choice further.

Thank You

Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:52 AM   #2

The look and feel of a camera is definitely important to the user.

I think the Pentax has reportedly the lowest image quality of the three, however the Pentax is small and light, plus you can buy used Pentax lenses fairly cheaply.

The 350D has probably the best image quality of the three, especially at high ISO's (light sensitivity setting). The 350D also has a 8mb pro quality sensor.

The 5D has the benefit of antishake, and is probably the most user friendly of the three (although I haven't used it myself). I find some of the images I see from the Minolta sensor look a little underexposed, but but better under than over as it can be fixed with software after.

Given your a learning photographer, perhaps also examine the RAW capability of these cameras and any bundled software with it that can process RAW. You can always download a free copy of RAWSHOOTER which is a nice RAW processing software title.

Think about the "system" you want to invest with in the future. You will probably be making a sizable investment in lenses over the next few years. If you buy a Pentax or a Konica Minolta, will your next "pro" camera be a Pentax or Konica Minolta?

Most pro's stick with Nikon or Canon. But it's up to you, and I'm sure others will offer their opinions here too.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 5:51 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I am only really looking at photography as a hobby which is why I am lean toward the Konica. I suppose what I am really looking for is a camera that i can experiment with and gain photograghic skills but also just be able to shoot a photo and not have to do alot of touching up (etc for celebrations and such, more of a point and shoot quality I suppose). Am I expecting to much from these cameras?

I fear I am over thinking thisI tell you just when I think I have it sorted out something else comes out to confuse the issue.:?

Again any input anyone could provided would be greatly appreciated

Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 7:50 AM   #4

Have you actually handled any of these cameras? My first advice would be to go into a store and actually try handling them if you haven't already. Ergonomics may be an important part of liking your camera enough to actually get into using it. And while you're there, buy or borrow a couple of the appropriate memory cards (I dunno what they all take) and try using them in the display cameras at the store to actually see what kind of pictures they take. As Terry knows, my personal choice would not be one of the three you mention but any of the popular models out these days will take fine pictures once you learn what you're doing. It's not a matter of either compromising or not compromising, but choosing which compromise suits your style best.
Good luck.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote