Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:43 AM   #1

I am now the proud/novice owner of a Canon Rebel XT. My interest at the moment is a good/quality telephoto lens (200 – 300mm) for the Rebel in the $500.00 range. I've done some surfing/researching about my camera (it was ranked 1th in viewscore.com http://www.viewscore.com/vsPP/3/1739 and they have analysed more then 5000 editorial reviews...) and know that I have several options, and a few select "viable" options. I think the telephoto allows you to capture the "animal/forest experience" much more spontaneously, without "posing" and is ultimately less intrusive. No, I am not trying to take candid pictures of movie stars; I plan to photograph our local Mountains and it's inhabitants (minus drug labs, please don't shoot, I turned off my camera). I'd like to catch a shot or two of the Mountain Lion, but not while he's eating me, that kind of thing. It just keeps you a safer distance, and has less of an effect on the animals if you're at distance. I apologize for the rambling, I am sure I'll have 1,000,000 other questions and opinions. Thanks for the tolerance and any guidance.

Brenda26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2005, 12:12 PM   #2

Have a look at the Cannon DSLR and Cannon Lens forum for enough info to melt your brain! You have chosen your camera, now it is time to graduate and go to the big boy forums and really learn about the capacity of the camera. But I think you would be happy with one of the better Sigma lenses at that price/focal length.
miatapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 5:05 PM   #3
Super Moderator

you may look into canon's new 70-300 4-5.6 IS.. its not a pro-calibre lens by no means but i think its slightly improved optically over its predecessor..

if you can stretch your budget 100USD or so and can find a really good deal.. the 70-200 f4L is about as sharp of lens as you can find these days... this is a truly pro-calibre lens that you could keep forever..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote