Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 3, 2005, 8:08 AM   #1

I've had my Panasonic FZ20 for about a year and think it's a great camera and I've been very happy with it. The only issue I've really had with it is doing action shots. The combination of how it does in poor light and slower auto focus has me thinking I want to consider a dslr. I'm having a hard time convincing myself that this is enough of a reason. Has anybody else gone through having to make a similar decision?

copperleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2005, 9:37 AM   #2

Yeah. I have, sorta. I have an FZ-10, which I was using for low light, action shots at iso 400 and 1/100 shutter speed. Gave variable results, depending on lighting-mostly had trouble focussing.

I decided to go with Pentax istds. Not sure of verdict yet. It allows up to iso 3200, which is factor of eight. But I can only afford a telephoto that goes to f5.6 at the long end of the tele, so I lose two fstops over the 2.8 on the FZ-10. Also the 70-300mm tele on the pentax is huge-not something I relish carrying. So I gain three fstops and lose two. Not sure its worth it yet.

I really need an f2.8 tele but can't afford it.

cshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 3:08 PM   #3

I started with FZ1. Then bought canon 10D. Also have FZ5. For action shots, dSLR really helps but camera is just one thing, you need to look at the lens also. Also is the action going to be inside or outside? For outside f5.6 is no problem. Most of my bird shots are at around f8 at ISO200 or ISO400 and they much better than what I can get from FZ5. ISO400 on XT/20D is much cleaner than starting ISO on FZ10 (IMHO, others might disagree).

I use 100-400L IS and 400 f5.6 prime lens. My low light lens is cheap 50mm f1.8. For inside stuff, you need f1.8, atleast f2.8. Don't expect to get reach of fz10 at f2.8 at cheap price, 300mm f2.8 and 400 f2.8 are quite expensive and heavy.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 4:12 PM   #4

I have the FZ 20 and upgrade to the Rebel XT and haven't regreted it for a second. I love the quality of pictures I'm getting out of my XT. It is costly, though. I've invested over $1,100.00 in lenses to be able to do what I want with it for bird photography.
bmullen@comcast is offline   Reply With Quote