Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 5, 2005, 2:10 PM   #1

I was at my local Best Buy looking at cameras..Looking to spend$300 bucks or below for a digital camera.. After looking at this camera it seemed really nice.. The picture takes really fast and some of the options seemed great on the camera.. I've seen the review on this site for the camera which is great.. Does anybody have this camera and if so how is it so far?? It does seem like a good camera to get.. Please advise on suggestions or comments..

Thanks, Dx
Dxtra30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2005, 9:31 PM   #2

I have to disagree. The A610 may seem like it has good image quality, but when compared to images taken on the A95, the image quality is not as good. I don't have either camera but have seen the samples from this site. I have tested it out in the store, the lens is noisier then on the other Canon cameras. There seems to be some vignetting in photos from the A610 as well. I think you're better off with a Canon A95, but prices have skyrocketed, as people selling them are gouging, because the A95 is a better camera in short supply. I think you may be better off with an Olympus C-5500. I like the sample images, and the way the camera feels and operates, testing it out in the store. It has 5x zoom, and has many adjustments for saturation, sharpness, and contrast, as well as image sizes. Only drawback is the xD cards. Colors may not seem as bright with the C-5500, but the in camera adjustments can easily fix that. Unlike the Canon, you have 5 different settings for saturation, sharpness, and contrast. The C-5500 is also built well. If I hadn't been using CF cards for so long, I probably would have gotten the C-5500 as my new camera.

The sample photos of the C-5500 seem to be sharper and cleaner than the A610. The C-5500 is also cheaper, it was around $210 but has gone up to around $250. As always, you're better off buying after the Holiday gouging. Only problem is I haven't seen the C-5500 in stores anymore, so finding it might be hard. Whatever you do, don't settle. Just because the A610 is being carried everywhere doesn't mean it's as good as a more hard to find camera, such as the C-5500 or the A95.

If xD cards don't bother you, go with the C-5500. Many here have recomended it. I'm kinda kicking myself for not getting one myself back when it was as low as $210.
pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote