Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:00 PM   #1

:?Have been searching thru buyer's guide and review for camera for active 17yr old boy. Convenience factor high but not phased by lots of features. Wants to take action shots and videos while snow and water skiing, paintballing and soccer. Will also need for college physics projects (video).

Stumped! Have narrowed to Samsung Digimax I5, Olympus Stylus 500 or C5500 Sport Zoom, Pentax Optio SWP, Nikon Coolpix 5900 or Canon Powershot SD450.

Can't quite discern differences to make best pick. Welcome all suggestions!

jbade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2005, 1:10 PM   #2

Check out the Fujifilm F10. The high ISO, quick AF, and low shutter lag would come in quite handy for stopping action in lower light. It also has great battery like and is small and portable.
David French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:29 PM   #3

Another Pentax, the Optio WPI, has gotten good press and is waterproof, which should help with water and snow sports. Here's a link to Pentax' press release:

I have no first-hand experience with it, but it's worth a look.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:44 PM   #4

I cant comment first hand on the others, and on paper they do look promising. I do have the Canon SD300 (the 4mp small LCD little brother of the 450)and have taken it snowboarding more than a few times. On of my favortie things to do is film my snowboarding runs, I just start it up in movie mode and hold it in my left hand or tape it to my boot. It has seen its fair shair of snow/ice/water and falls on it and has not given me one problem. I quick wipe with my glove and back to the action. That pretty mcuh tells me its made nicely. The 640x480 movies look awsome as does the picture quality.

The f10 is a good suggestion, but not nearly as pocket friendly as the canons.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2005, 4:22 PM   #5

jbade wrote:
...while snow and water skiing, ...
Take a look at the Steve's camera reviews under the category "Weather Resistant & Underwater" at http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_wr.html
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2005, 1:34 PM   #6

For outdoor soccer you will want a good zoom. The F10 is nice small camera (I own one) but not enough zoom. I also own a Panasonic FZ10 that is very good for outdoor shooting with good light, but indoors in low light, not so good without flash. I tend to agree with others that state if you're near water you probably should have some protection from water.
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote