Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 10, 2005, 11:53 AM   #1

Hi, I am anamateur-mid level amateur looking to step up into a DigitalSLR and have narrowed it down to the following two cameras.

Overall, it sounds like the MAXXUM 5D takes better pictures and has less noise, but the battery life and speed of the NIKON is better.

I am interested to hear from anyone who has either of these two cameras. Also would be nice to hear about the flexibility, ease of use (although I understand there will be of course a learning curve), expandability, and responsiveness. I will beusing the camera mainly for group photos/portraits and landscape/scenery.

I was only able to get my hands on a NIKON D50 to hold. I haven' t held a MAXXUM 5D yet as i can't find a camera shop in my area with it in stock.

The most import things for me is:

LOW NOISE, especially in low light.

I understand that the Maxxum is abit more than the Nikon but i can manage UP to that for now. My max range im looking to spend is $900 dollars (give or take a few dollars )

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2005, 1:55 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i don't think there is a huge amount of difference in the noise between these two models..both cameras use the same sony sensor, and both image processors seem to be quite similar in how they handle noise.. but one advantage the 5d does have over the nikon is that it has iso 3200 available in case you were to ever need it..

plus with the integrated AS of the 5d you can oftentimes shoot at a lower iso as you won't need as high of shutter speeds to get a sharp pic..

the 5d would be my pick of these two cameras..

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote