Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2005, 3:27 AM   #1

I am going to buy m first DIgital SLR. From what I can tell the best options in my price range ($1,100 or so) is the Nikon D70s or the Canon Rebel XT.

What I want in a camera - I want to take action shots of my three boys playing Ice Hockey, I would like continuous frames to catch different parts of shots (I assume 3 fps should suffice), The shots can be p to 200 feet away - most likely less than 100 feet though, Lighting can be low sometimes, I would also like stop action capability to catch my oldest son diving during swim meets.

I am open to options other than the two cameras I mentioned. ANy recommendations are welcome.

vmaguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2005, 7:01 AM   #2

I think that you've narrowed it down to the two best options. The two are fairly comparable. The Canon is noticeably lighter, so if you're carrying it around with you a lot, that could be a factor.

Otherwise, I'd suggest you read the Steve's reviews on each, then assess look & feel at a local shop to make your choice. I bought the Rebel XT about four months ago and have been extremely happy with it. A close friend has the Nikon and feels similar about his purchase (though when he tested mine he made a comment about the lighter weight). In our cases, he had Nikon (film) SLR equipment from the past, and I had a Canon EOS film camera, so the decision was pretty easy.

With the Canon, I have found it to be fast (from the time you power on), with barely any shutter lag, and a surprisingly long battery life. Good indoor photography will require an add-on external flash, but that's the same with the Nikon or any SLR.

Either way, you can't go wrong. They are both fantastic cameras and exceed what the professionals were using 24 months ago, at 10% of the cost.
graubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 8:32 PM   #3

The KM Maxxum 5D might be an option for you as well, with its built-in Anti-Shake technology. This will help keep minor handshakes from affecting your shots, and will work with just about any lens you decide to use. If you go the Canon or Nikon route and want some type of image stabilization, you'll pay extra for the IS/VR lenses. All good cameras though, and I think you'll be happy with any of them.
Rambler358 is offline   Reply With Quote