Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2005, 7:22 AM   #1

Currently have a Canon Powershot S30. This was our 1st forray into digital, and I got rid of my SLR at the time (was not using it enough to realize it's full benefits).

Now I am looking at a camera with more versatility (longer zoom capabilities, faster, higher resolution, etc.) The one area that I would like to be able to handle is action shots (my daughter is a gymnast and my son plays tennis and fences).

So far, I have liked the features of the Minolta A200 and the Fuji Finepix 9000. I understand there are limitations with these types of cameras versus SLR's, but I am not sure i want to go back to SLR ($$$$ being a major concern) I have seen good input on the board for the A200, but nothing on the 9000 (too new?). For both of these, I like the wider angle range. The Fuji offers a longerzoom and 1600 ISO, but no true image stabilization (I believe they compensate by upping the ISO factor).

Any others in this class I should consider?
pgpstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2005, 10:20 AM   #2

Stabilization doesn't help at all for subject motion. I would say for your purposes the higher ISO capability would help more in getting action shots of your kids.

I personally like the A2 and A200, but it wouldn't be my first choice for action.

The Panasonic FZ20 is still f2.8 at full 12X zoom and has an excellent burst. It doesn't do well at higher ISO though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 1:01 PM   #3

We recently took a 20D to an indoor gymnastics class. My buddy was taking pictures of his little girl. The lighting was probably worse than most gyms as one side of the gym had a few lights out.

He had the camera set to ISO3200 and the camera still had a bit of trouble stopping the action when the kids were running/moving. Keep in mind, he was also unable to use the flash.

You will likely need a dSLR, but if you do not want to go that route, you should seriously consider the Fuji line. The ISO capability of those camera's are much great than the competition. Unfortunately, you will probably be using ISO 800 or just as likely ISO 1600 and these camera's do not have the best quality at those settings...
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2005, 1:21 PM   #4

I would second swgod's point, and note that the Fuji 9000 is pretty close to the starting price of good low-end dSLRs with a kit lens. If you can afford the 9000, you may well want to think of getting an EVolt 500 or a D50 or the like with a starter lens, and possibly get a second lens later.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote