Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 12, 2005, 7:45 PM   #1

I'm going on an extended bike tour and need a rugged camera that can fit in my handlebar bag without completely monopolizing the space in it. So that rules out DSLRs. But I'd still like manual controls to allow for the occasional creative shot. The closest I've seen are the Sony V3, Olympus 7070, and Canon a620. I like the wide angle of the Oly, but it seemed to respond pretty slowly. And the Canon didn't seem to be that solid to me- the LCD isn't even protected, unless you rotate it inwards. I've read some great things about the Ricoh GX8- wide angle, super fast, and takes AA batteries. I'm partial to AAs since all my other equipment will be using them. And I know most LCD-only models have problems in direct sunlight, so I'm biased to optical viewfinders (haven't seen a decent quality EVFs).

Anybody have any other suggestions or advice?
travelhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2005, 7:19 PM   #2

I own the Oly c7070 and have noticed the same thing about the speed. However, if you are taking a scenic tour the wide angle lense is indispensable. Also, since most shots will probably be of landscapes at infinity you can preset one of the MyMode settings for this function and have instant shots when you need them.

In addition, the 7.1 megapixels will give you outstanding quality for up to 11x14 prints. The rechargeable battery pack will give you 400+ shots (50% flash) from a charge - more than enough for a good day of shooting.

The Oly has so many individual control features you can vary for very professional results,but you can also treat it like a point&shoot.

I looked at the Ricoh and it seemed like a very good deal for the price. The wide angle is great, though it has higher barrel distortion than the Oly. The telephoto end is a bit limited (12x vs 20 for the Oly).

If you had to have one camera for everything I recommend the Oly.This camera has morefeatures than many SLRs.The Ricoh seems like a greatsecond camera.
goldbergp is offline   Reply With Quote