Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:51 PM   #1

These below are the features I'm looking for.
  • 3MP or more[/*]
  • 3x optical zoom or more[/*]
  • a good flash and good picture quality for indoors[/*]
  • as many manual settings as possible[/*]
  • movie to be limited only by memory card capacity (I want to use a 2GB memory card at least)
I have been checking the canon s2 and I like the super zoom but the movies on that camera are limited at 1GB, I think the A610/A620 have the same issue but I'm not sure. I would like to choose a nikon or canon but canon's compact cameras usually dont have unlimited movie and nikon's usually dont have full manual controls. The camera needs to be really a compact one and not too big nortoo heavy.

If possible could you give as many models as possible with unlimited movie and fully manual so that I can check them out and could read some reviews.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
erdinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2005, 9:17 AM   #2

You might have a look at the Casio Z750. It has unlimited MPEG4 movies, so you can get over an hour of best quality on 2 Gigs. It has full manual exposure, aperture and shutter priority and manual focus. The control setup is excellent and the lens the best in its class with the exception of the Fuji F10.

The one requirement you give that some people would say it doesn't have is a good flash. After a lot of use and experimentation I think the flash is fairly strong but throttles down too much when there is bright light in the scene – I think it goes to a fill mode. Spot metering and/or increasing the flash intensity overcomes that problem in most cases. I just have a custom mode set up for flash shots with bright lighting.

The flash assist works well, albeit with some noise. I measured out 25 feet from the face of the fireplace – the wall is another 2 feet. The left light is off and the right one has only a 16 watt bulb for night navigation. They are the only lights in the room. Flash sync is at 1/60 so the dim room lighting did not add to the light. The photo is unmodified.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote