Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 21, 2005, 6:10 AM   #1

Hi all

If you had a choice between the s70 and the SD550 for exactly the same money, which would you go for?

The SD550 is more compact with a larger LCD, but the S70 has a manual mode.

Although the S70 fits into your pocket (just), the SD550 will be a much more comfortable fit.

What about performance though? They are both the same megapixel and both share similar components so would you expect the same quality?

Oh so many questions - can anyone help?
hotchilidamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2005, 7:21 AM   #2

I would personally prefer the S70. But I use manual controls often and like having a wide angle lens. I also find a small belt pouch at my local flea market for whatever I carry and the S70 wouldn't be much more inconvenient with my carry method. I also like having a good raw mode.

If you don't tend to pre-focus the SD550 is a much faster camera for full autofocus shutter lag. It also cycles faster between shots, although the S70 is pretty fast. The SD550 has an ever so slightly stronger flash, but they are both excellent for small cameras.

They have evidently improved the SD550 LCD so it doesn't crack as easily as the earlier models. It seems it would be a better pocket camera.

They are both excellent cameras. If you shoot mostly in auto and want to carry it in your pocket the SD550 might be the better choice.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote