Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 25, 2005, 9:57 PM   #1

Hello all, new to the SLR arena. My father in law has a rebel xt that I have used so I have a little experience w/ an SLR. I mainly take action photos of the kids playing sports etc. Looking to keep it < 1000 too. Any recommendation between these too or anyone w/ experience on both? Thanks in advance.
fccpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2005, 4:38 AM   #2

I conduct dSLR worshops so I own both the Canon XT and the Olympus E-500, and have a lot of experience with them. IMHO the grip on the Canon XT, at least for me is quite pinched, and the Canon XT viewfinder is like looking down a very narrow corridor. It is not my preferred dSLR.

On the otherhand, the Oly E-500 has a great grip, and viewfinder. The kit lenses on the OLy E-500 are of much higher quality than the Canon kit lens. The Oly E-500 two lens kit is a real bargain. Those two lenses will give you the equivalent of 28 to 300mm in 35mm terms, and they are real performenrs.

The Canon XT will perform better at ISO 800 and 1600 than the Oly E-500, but by using Neat Image the Oly noise problem is easily addressed. In a nutshell, the Oly E-500 will cost less, is a great dSLR, and you won't have to buy more lenses. That is the most expensive part of dSLR Photography.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote