Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:33 AM   #1

I'm looking for a smallest possible camera with big zoom (>3) and IS. Until I read the Caplio R3 review by Richard Kloc, I thought I had found the perfect cam. By the way there is a review of this camera and it doesn't look this bad: http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2050

I thought of the following cameras. All of them exibit some level of noise. Which of the three (or what other one) is the best? Image Stabilization is important to me (the camera is for an elderly person) - or am I being cheated that it helps making sharp pictures?

Ricoh Caplio R3 (x7,1)
Panasonic DMC-LZ2(x6)
Panasonic DMC-LX1(x4)

(zoom magnification in brackets)

Witek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:20 PM   #2

Image Stabilization really works, it enables couple steps longer shutter times without blurring caused by shake which is even more important with longer tele.
Good rule of thumb for longest shake free shutter/exposure time is 1 second divided by used 35mm equivalent focal length, so for 200mm tele it's 1/200s.

Ricoh has made clearly some compromises in lens and it's "IS" sounds somewhat dubious but apparently it works at least half decently.

Well... at least if you're into landscape shots I would discard LZ2 immediately... 37mm is unwide angle.

LX1's 28mm seems to apply only for widescreen aspect ratio and it becomes 34mm at normal digicam aspect ratio. (which is still better than most digicams)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote