Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 29, 2005, 1:38 AM   #1

I have been looking around now for the last couple days about this new camera. I have useda Fuji A303, then upgraded to the Kodak DX6490. Now i feel that it is about the right time to try out a DSLR. I was actually looking at the DL because I work at best buy and get the discount on it. However i've been reading about how the DS has a better mirror inside of it. Then I saw the DS 2 on the Pentax website. Now I"m really confused, haha. I keep thinking about the reviews about how most of the Pentax DSLR models are horrible when shooting JPG's. What is so different on the DS2 than on the DS or DL? I know the following already:

• has lower mirror quality when compared to DS [/*]
  • slower 3 point focus
  • 11 point focus that is faster than DL [/*]
  • smaller LCD than the DL
DS 2
  • big LCD[/*]
Does this new DS 2 have a faster focus? Does it use a different JPG processor in the camera as compared to the others? What do you guys think, any users out there? Anything would be appreciated. :-)
ubervw2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:51 PM   #2

Not sure if this is protocol or not but as a recent owner of *ist DS, I found many experts across the street at dpreview Pentax dSLR forum....I, for one, am not sure what the differences are myself...sorry. But as for the "jpeg" criticism, I, for one, can vouch that it is WAY over-stated! I prefer to use jpeg 95% of the time and have gotten some amazing shots. The "only" time I have had a problem with jpeg is taking outdoor pics in front of the grey siding - it makes the subject's face blue=white balance issue. That was the only time I wished I had shot in RAW.
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote