Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:10 PM   #1

I've owned Sony's DSC-T5 and DSC-T1 and been disappointed by both. I've been looking around and noticed point-and-shoot cameras are starting to utilize image stabilization.I was hoping someone could help me answer a few questions:

Is image stabilization what it claims(how well does it work)?

Are there different types(DSC-T9 and the EX-S500)?

What cameras use the technology right now?

Also, I've always had difficulty with low light pictures. I dislike using the flash, but without it, my pics are much too grainy to be of any use. What are some viable options? Is my experience biased by the cameras I've owned? Is the DSC-T9 going to solve my troubles with its increased light sensitivity claims?

peteypetey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2005, 9:16 AM   #2

As you can see at

image stabilization really works. I'm a big fan of it. It does help in low light.

It is, however, mainly a big-zoom-camera thing. The Casio S500, and some other cameras, claim to use "electronic anti-shake", but that's just cranking up the ISO to keep the shutter speed low, which leads to terrible grain/noise problems.

The compacts that REALLY use image stabilization are the Panasonic ZXs and, I think, the Minolta X1. The upcoming Sony T9 will have it also. And if your camera can be less than very compact, the Panasonic LZs have IS and also 6X zoom. More info at http://airshowfan.com/guide-to-digital-cameras-2.htm

I hope that helps.
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote