Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2005, 7:01 PM   #1

So What camera is best for moving targets? I have an olympus C-700 and I hate it! I want something smaller with image stabilization and will take a clear picture even if his arm is moving. Right now I get a blurred arm. Are eny of the pocket size canon or sony camera any good? Help! I need to get some good Christmas pictures this year!
kats0916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2005, 8:47 PM   #2

IS can help control the movement of the photographer, but it can't help slow down your son.

Although the C700 is old (in digicam terms), it shouldn't be all that bad with freezing motion. With an F2.6 lens and ISO 800, you should be able to use a fast enough shutter speed to stop a 2 year old in his tracks...maybe it's the photographer? Why don't you post a few pics, and maybe we can see what the problem is.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:39 PM   #3

I agree, that camera should be able to produce a good, still picture in moderate light. However, if you are still having trouble, the Fuji F10/11 may be a good solution. It is pocketable, has low noise ISO1600 capability, and is very quick between pictures and boot up. Standard flash pictures default to a minimum of 1/100th of a second, which should eaily freeze him, even at the lower ISOs.

As hun said, image stabilization will not help freeze your subject, only counteract your shaking hand. It is helpful for photographing at slower shutter speeds. I high ISO camera compensates by allowing faster shutter speeds, which is more adventageous.

In regaurds to your current camera, I think you can make it work for you until you find the perfect new camera for your needs. It has a very nice lens in regaurds to speed and range. From my experience, the modern digital camera will give you a richer look in addition to more pixels. As Hun said, give us some samples of what you want to do, and we can help figure out what is wrong.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote