Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2005, 6:21 PM   #1

My budget is $300
I want a camera to print alot of 8x12
Compact, Durable, Advanced features, produces nice Night Shots and Sunrise shots.

Please give me your opinions.
twendane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:52 AM   #2

twendane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 1:20 PM   #3

The size of the A610 is not at all compact really. It will fit into a coat pocket, but not into a pair of jeans though.
waynehayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 8:40 AM   #4

If you want to print 8X12s, ideally I would say you should get a bigger camera than the A610, something with a big lens and a big sensor. This page

shows interesting photo comparisons to make the point that, the smaller a camera is, the more grain in the images - and a higher megapixel number can make this even worse.

So, yeah, DEFINITELY the A610 over the Casio if you want to make big enlargements. But I would suggest you consider something like a Fuji S7000/S9000, a Canon S2-IS, a Minolta Z6, a Fuji S5200, or something else with a big lens. With a budget of $300, you can probably get a Panasonic FZ4, a Minolta Z3, a Canon S1-IS, or a Fuji S5100, which have fewer megapixels but may still take sharper images that are better for enlargements (as the link above shows).

The Fuji F10 also can apparently keep grainy-ness WAY down, so that's another one you may want to consider.

And if you insist on something really compact, the Fuji Z1 has some of that anti-grain technology that makes the F10's pictures look so good. I think both the F10 and Z1 go for $300.

Of course, when I realized my Panasonic's pictures just weren't quite sharp or smooth enough for the kinds of enlargements I wanted to make, I got a Canon 10D and a couple nice sharp lenses, but that is MUCH more expensive than $300...

I hope that helps.

airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote