Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2005, 3:15 AM   #1

I'd like to ask you which ultracompact digital camera is better: Pentax Optio WPi or Olympus Stylus Verve S (aka mju mini Digital S). I'm looking for a weather-proof camera that can hold up active use. I'm not talking about scuba-diving or even taking pictures in the rain. One situation would be that I'm walking in the streets of Finland in the winter with my buddies and suddenly I feel the urge to take silly pictures. So the main criteria are that the camera should be small enough so that I can keep it in my pocket when I'm in da club or whatever and not feel like there's something huge in my trousers (oh wait, there is!). Also, as the winters in Finland are pretty intense and, right now, kinda damp and rainy, the camera should hold up against a little moisture, a little dirt and a little dust. I did think about the likes of Sony DSC-T7 or Casio Exilim S500/S600 but I heard that these normal cameras don't like moisture and dust very much.

I like the style of Olympus better than that of Pentax but Pentax seems more sturdier, has a bigger LCD screen and seemingly has better protection agains water and dust. Also, Pentax is smaller and lighter than Olympus. Pentax is a new camera so I haven't heard much about its performance but many people seem to like Olympus although there are those who say that Olympus is toy-like and that designers have sacrifeced performance for style.

I guess the deal-breaker here would be the picture quality. Olympus is 5MP and Pentax is 6MP, not that MPs define picture quality. Oh, one more thing: I'm not going to print the photos, so the photos taken would only be viewed from a screen.

So which one would be the ultimate point 'n' shooter for me? You can recommend other models as well but I don't believe there are any that are as small and as durable as these two.
JungleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links