Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 9, 2005, 6:49 PM   #1

So, I need (well want) to get my parents a camera for Xmas to get them up to the digital era to go with their new computer. Im not to up on the Low End of the digital camera maket. Im looking for something in the 200-250 price point. SD memory would be preferable as I can give them one of my spare cards.

Things it should have:

3x zoom
Larger LCD for the old eyes 2" +
optical viewfinder (because I cant break them of the habit of using it, even with my 2.5 inch cameras)
will most likely never be taken off auto mode.

That should be a good start for them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:59 PM   #2

How about the Kodak EasyShare C360? Very uncomplicated to use and has all the specs that you mentioned. Steve's review is here.

The Canon PowerShot A610 (click here for Steve's review) costs slightly more than your specified budget range (Adorama and B&H are selling it for $255 US) but its features and, IMO, image quality are better than the Kodak mentioned above. It does have manual controlsthat your parents may never use, butcan be left in Auto mode for ease of operation.
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 8:05 AM   #3

I'd recommend the Kodak Z730, 5mp, 4X zoom 33-132mm, a large2.2" LCD (one of the best inlow light), good, & quick focusing in any light,fast shooting, & cycling, plus a built in lens cover. ask me, I have an older model, the DX7440, only difference is mine's only 4mp. check it out here:

MikDee is offline   Reply With Quote