Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 10, 2005, 9:06 AM   #1

Hi there,

Since I'm unable to find good reviews about the Fuji S5200 and, specially, sample movies made with it, thought of asking for users of either digicam about their impressions.

What's most important to me when selecting the camera I'll buy between these two (suggestions always welcomed!) is:

- VGA movie mode

Both seem to offer the same, although the S5200 doesn't seem to offer any anti-schaking during movies, or zooming

- Higher-than-standard ISO

Not a number freak, but as I understand the higher the ISO, the better pictures taken at night will look like

- Zoom

Optical between 3-6X, digital at least 3X to allow combined zoom of at least 10X (or close to it)

The S2 has 5MP on a 1,25" CCD, and the S5200 5.1MP on the same CCD size... correct me if I'm wrong please, but it seems this means both capture images at virtually the same resolution on a similar CCD, so image quality (regarding this item) would be the same?

In a way, I'd use the word "unfortunate" to describe my decision to buy a good movie-taking digicam. It restricts a lot the number of good cameras (Panasonic FZ5, Olympus SP-350 etc.) I'm willing to consider.

Any impressions - and specially movie samples of both cameras! - out there please? Feel free to e-mail me at daniel.mendes@globo.com with links to reviews or samples, no matter their size.

Thank you!

mendessun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2005, 5:05 PM   #2

If you are really interested in using the video mode of the camera's, the S2 is by far the clear winner. The only downside is that you can only fit about 7+ minutes on a 1gig card at 30fps/640x480. It will allow you to both zoom in/out while taking video as well as capture full sized still images.

The S5200's ISO ability is very nice in situations where light is not optimal and you need to use flash, or when you need to increase the shutter speed to prevent camera shake or motion blur.

The S2 is a great camera with a lot of nice features, but it's hard to discount the S5200 due it's incredible price in comparison...and it's ISO capability, which no current competitor can match.

There is a lot of information on these camera's on the forum...look around...

btw, the Fuji is 10x optical, the S2 is 12x. Both of these are well beyond your posted interest.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote