Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:53 PM   #1

First of all, my introduction:

My name is Daniel and I live in Portugal. I always liked digital photography, but until now my only camera was a 2 years old (Crapy) Mustek mdc 3500:angry:. Now I dicided to buy a new camera because this last one is just terrible.

I´m going to use the camera mainly for outdoors, taking pix of landscapes some wildlife (birds mostly:lol so a big optical zoom is mandatory. I like MTB Freeride and love to shoot jumps and some images of "quick moments". I dont know if you understand wat I want to say:?.

Any ho... I have 7 camera models of 6 diferent brands in my list. They are:

*CANON PowerShot S2IS

*Fuji FinePix S5600 ZOOM

*Kodak Esay Share P850 Zoom

*Kodak Esay Share Z7590

*Olympus SP-500 Ultra Zoom

*Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ5

*Sony DSC H1

I am trying to figure myself wat are the best cameras, but I want the opinion of more experienced people. If you can give a help I will apreciate.

Thanks in Advanced:|

Best Regards
Pixelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:27 PM   #2

With a lot of zoom, I think image stabilization is very useful, as it will allow you to keep ISOs low and to use the zoom even in less-then-perfect lighting.

You can see a lot of big-zoom cameras compared in a table at

Personally, I'm a big Panasonic fan. The lenses are very fast and sharp, image quality is good, and you get 12X zoom with IS (image stabilization) - hard to beat. I have an FZ10 and I love it.

The Canon S2IS, Kodak P850, and Sony H1 are also very good cameras, with a lot of zoom, IS, and good image quality. They're more expensive, though, and offer about the same features as the FZ5, plus a few more. For example, they have better movie modes, better screens, a flash shoe, etc, so if those things are important to you, then the extra cost might be worth it.

Ah, and the Minoltas (Z3, Z5 and Z6) are also worth looking at. Image quality is not quite as high, but they are smaller, take AA batteries, have excellent movie modes, and the IS is rock-solid. Again, Panasonic would be my first recommendation, but if you want something a little smaller and cheaper (and that uses normal batteries and takes great movies), the Minoltas are nice cameras.

Boa sorte na escolha da máquina. Qualquer outra dúvida, não deixa de perguntar aqui no fórum, ou então visita o meu site e me manda um email. Valeu!

airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice:-)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" This weekend *m going to one store that have a lot of cameras and alow the people to try them. They have all the cameras that I mencioned above, and I will pay special atentiont to the Panasonic.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" Heres the store

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"http://www.fnac.pt/

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Como percebes Portugues, deves orientar-te bem pelo site

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" Best Regards

Pixelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:09 PM   #4

I just bought a Pana FZ5 after days of intense internet googling:O

I'm portuguese to, so ola daniel espero que decidas pela FZ5 é uma máquina verdadeiramente fabulosa pelo preço!!!

I bought mine from pixmania for 350€ , in a store here the cost is 500€!!!!!
pjaires is offline   Reply With Quote