Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:10 PM   #1

Help! Suggestions greatly appreciated. I'm looking for advice on digicams which cost no more than one hundred dollars as a starter cam for my grandson to complement the dell E510 that Santa is bringing my son on xmas day. Any first hand experience which might guide me to small digicams which offer the most bang per buck would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Michael
critterdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:28 PM   #2

Sub $100 is going to be tough. If you look around, you might find a Fuji 2800 or A330 or A340, or a Nikon 3200, for that price, especially if you buy them refurbished.

However, if you just go up to $150, there are a bunch of great cameras you can choose from, like the Canon A510, the Sony S40, etc.

I recommend you check out

I hope that helps.
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 6:51 AM   #3

Most of what you find in that price will be junk for the most part. You may be able to get a deal on a used camera off ebay, but it will likely have some miles on it. The previous advise you received is correct. Spend the extra $50 and you'll be able to get something 1/2 way decent. If you don't recognize the name, then the camera is not likely going to be worth much.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 8:40 AM   #4

critterdoc, a lot of grown men are happy with their cheap hybrids (in the Hybrid forum) so I don't see why a grandchild wouldn't be, especially when it's a pocket video camera,MP3 player and webcamas well. Of course he won't be able to take pro photos.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 8:49 AM   #5

This week K-Mart has a Polaroid 5Mp digital with a flip-out LCD and 32Mp memory for $98. K-Mart also has a 3.1Mp Kodak for $98 and you get an instant $10 gift card. Neither camera has an optical zoom, so you are limited to basic snapshots. You could probably drop a notch in quality and not have to buy anything but batteries for the Polaroid with 32Mb. Not sure about the Kodak.

If anyone needs a printer you might look into this at CompUSA for $120:
"PhotoSmart R507 4.1 MegaPixel Digital Camera. 1.5-in. LCD, 3x optical 7x digital zoom. 32MB SD card. Movie mode with sound. PictBridge compatible"
It is the cheapest camera locally on sale with an optical zoom. But in the details it adds this:
"Free Epson Stylus R220 photo printer after mail in rebates, a $99 value"
Even if you just used up the ink and threw it away the printer would be worth $40 or 50. If anyone prints it looks like a good deal.

All of these are good only through tomorrow.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:17 AM   #6

I got my A510 off e-bay last week for $130. sealed in the factory box. This thing is pretty decent IMO. I soent another $30. for a 256 SD card im still waiting on it.
BowerR64 is offline   Reply With Quote