Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:25 PM   #1

I am VERY new to digital photography and had been reading reveiws and looking around and trying to decide which camera I wanted to go with. My husband bought me the Nikon 4800 for a early Christmas gift but it has not arrived yet. I am curious as to what people think of this camera. If I do not like it, what should I go with? I currently use a Nikon N90 SLR and a Canon Z135 little automatic camera. I enjoy taking action photos(rodeo events. LOVE my Nikon N90 for this!!! It's SUPER FAST!!) and we travel a good deal(I use the Canon Z135 for that). Also chase my 4 year old daughter around and snap TONS of photos of her. I like taking macro pictures too. Is the 4800 going to disapoint me??? We CANNOT afford to buy a digital SLR. Between taking care of horses, my daughter, and barrel racing, we have to stay on a pretty tight budget. How is the 4800 for action shots?? (if I pan the camera and follow the moving object?) I had a little HP Photosmart digital (first and only digital I've ever had up until now. Bought it in July) and I got decent outdoor action shots with it but i had to really follow the subject. TERRIBLE night time shots or indoor arena shots!! Also, TERRIBLE shutter lag.( The Nikon N90 has RUINED me!!)Overall, I guess what I need to know is how the little Nikon 4800 is going to work for what i enjoy doing and if it won't do, what will work on my budget?((up to $400.00) Thanks and forgive me if i posted in the wrong forum. Also, sorry if i sound dumb but ya don't know til ya ask!!
barrelracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2005, 1:36 AM   #2

You have to use half pressing to focus beforehand and it won't focus easily to moving target (like pretty much all non-SLRs), after that shutter lag is 0.1s.

Read also rest of the review, it's quite detailed.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote