Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 16, 2005, 9:34 PM   #1

I'm looking at getting the Canon powershot A510 or A520 but I want one that has sound in the video feature, do these, a friend told me they didn't, but on steves reviews it says they do, from someone that has them, do they or not??
tizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2005, 3:00 AM   #2

According to DCResource, they have sound and can do 640X480, but only at 10fps and up to 30s at a time. (15fps and up to 3 minutes at a time at lower resolutions).

They have a movie you can download. I don't think Canon would remove the microphone and sound-processing electronics from when the review was written to when the camera started selling, so it's safe to say it has sound.
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 7:18 PM   #3

Tried 'em both at a camera shop a while ago - they both record sound.
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 5:43 PM   #4

I think it is a considerable disadvantage to Canon that these models will only record up to 30 seconds, even if you have sufficient memory to record far more. I'm looking at my first digital and swaying towards a Sony DSC-S60 or S90 simply because they will record video up to the limit of your memory
graham.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:36 PM   #5

Some SD memory cannot handle the speed required for 30FPS 640x480 w/sound for unlimited time, but at 10FPS, it should be able to record the size of the chip...

The A95 was the same way back when I was comparing it and the Fuji e550. Although video was only one of many factors, I just find Canon's p&s line up to be laging behind others in certain ways.

However, the A6xx cameras have the features of others in their price range including high res long video, and a quite fast 4x lens. If you can afford the extra $50, you may want to consider an A610.

Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote