Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:28 PM   #11

About the Coolpix L1, it is relatively new so I haven't had to use it in many low light situations yet, but it does have this great feautre, which I think is new, as it isn't on my either Coolpix, but after the shot has been taked you can add in back lighting, I'm not sure if this would help in your case, but I have taken a few shots in the dark and then used this funtion and it has helped
SarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:40 PM   #12

Hi Stephanie,

I visited your gallery and the night shots looks great, have you tried taking night portraits without flash? It may just be me, but some of the shots give the effect of having the people pasted on top of another background, I know that is not the case, but it does look that way.

curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:56 PM   #13

Hi Curtis,

I've never bothered not using the flash for night portraits, to be honest, because if I didn't use flash the person just wouldn't show up in the picture at all. All you would see is a dark shape. Which is a desirable effect sometimes, but not what I was trying to achieve.

Yes, the people do kind of look like they're pasted into the shot, don't they? Perhaps a separate light source would help with that. In-camera flash tends to make people look very artificial.

Thanks for the comments and for visiting my site.

sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote