Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:02 PM   #1

I'm after a real small and thin camera and i've been looking at the samsung i5, nikon s1, konica minolta x1 and casio ex-s500.

Does anyone have one of these because I'd like to know if you can take pics and/or record movies when they are in their dock cradle? I know some don't have a tripod mount so being able to take pics and videos with the timer whilst in the cradle would be really useful.

Please reply if you know that's possible.

Also, is the samsung the best for reducing video file sizes? At 640x480 i don't really want a 20 sec video to be 20Mb in size!!

Cheers :-)
snapcracklepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:58 PM   #2

If you want MPEG4 movies that take less space your choices are limited. I don't tend to take long movies with a digicam, and the past movie mode on my Casio obviates cranking the movie while waiting for something to happen. But before compromising on a camera I think I would just buy a larger memory card and get whatever camera I wanted.

Unless a camera lists a dual use as a webcam and digital camera I doubt any will record while in the cradle. Casios turn the camera off when you put it in the cradle and I don't specifically know of one that will record from the cradle.

Of the tiny cameras available I think I would choose the new Sony T9. It has true optical image stabilization and better than average higher ISO capability. The movies are large on the card and you can't optical zoom while shooting movies, but the optical stabilization works with movies and should improve them considerably – especially when zoomed.

The Samsung is probably a decent choice if you want MPEG4 in a tiny camera. You can use the optical zoom with movies. It has problems focusing in low light. It is a little slow with cycle times.

The Casio S500 is much better for shutter lag and has the great past movie mode where you just aim the camera and wait for something to happen. When you start recording it records the previous 5 seconds from the buffer and continues recording. It focuses much better in low light than the Samsung and seems to have about the same image quality. The LCD on the Casio is much lower quality than the one on the Samsung. Neither have great optics, but take decent pictures. The S500 also has MPEG4 movies that don't take a lot of space.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 3:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the info slipe. You mention some things worth considering. Back to drawing board..............lol
snapcracklepop is offline   Reply With Quote