Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:53 AM   #1

My 2 year old 3mp compact is getting a little long in the tooth, and our family video camera just died. So, like many folks, I'm looking at all the still cameras that do video, and the video cameras that do still, and thinking there must be one of them I could buy and be reasonably happy with.

Add in the fact that the family will be doing a trip to the Rockies in July, and I'd like something with a little more zoom and resolution for that :-)

I've looked at the JVC Everio offerings, the Panasonic Lumix LX1, and the Sanyo Xacti VPC-C5 and C6. And trying to figure out if any of these will work for me just from the reviews is driving me bonkers. Since there is no one store I can go to and look at all of these, I'm hoping the collective knowledge here can help me out.

One of the BIG things I'm looking for is some type of Image Stabilization or Compensation. I have a bit of a tremor, and so something that can take care of that for me without carrying a tripod (that trip to the Rockies will be hard enough) will be important. I'd also like something with at least a 3x optical zoom, and would prefer that it use Flash Memory or a Hard Drive rather than tape.

So, what do y'all think?

EwanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links