Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 22, 2005, 9:08 PM   #1

Has anyone compared these two cameras? I am not worried about not having RAW in the S80. I generally just use my camera as a basic point and shoot. I am concerned about the lack of zoom on the S80 even though it has a great wide angle. Speed is important to me and so is flash range. Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
loldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:49 PM   #2

Flash range is about identical betweent the 2 cameras, and the S80 has a wider angle while the e900 has more telephoto. The S80 8MP on a 1/1.8" sensor is pretty dense, but the e900 9MP on a 1/1.6" sensor is not a whole lot better.

When I look at the photos produced, both are very good at low ISOs. The e900 does have less noise at ISO400 than the S80 at ISO200. IMO, the S80s pictures are too warm, both indoors and out. When I look at the palms steve photographed, the Fuji's cooler green seems more accurate than the warmer canon greens. I personally prefer the cooler look of the Fuji vs the Canon's warmer look, but that is personal preference. The Fuji can be a little too cool in some situations, but I think it's closer to my preference than the s80. Both would be great cameras.

Both cameras have very little shutter lag and start times.

Are there any other particular areas you are concerned with?
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 6:16 AM   #3

I have the S80.

It's a very good camera, however, in comparison to a DSLR, it has a max ISO of 400 which is limiting, and the cam doesn't handle dynamic range (light versus dark) as well as a DSLR.

Other than that, it takes very good images.

The S80 is also slightly heavy.

The S80 has the best flash I've ever seen built into the camera. I

f you want better than the S80's flash, you'd have to buy an external one that sticks on a camera hotshoe.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2005, 12:45 AM   #4

wait, ur saying the s80 has the best built-in flash ever? why do reviewers say it has a weak flash and has poor low-light performance then?:?
sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 6:07 PM   #5

What we are saying is that with an inexpensive flash bracket and a $49 slave flash you can take flash photos out to 50 or 60 feet. Do you need more range than that?

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote