Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2005, 4:05 PM   #1

Hi, I have never owned a digital camera. I currently have a 15 yr old 35mm Pentax with interchangeable lenses so it has been difficult to even think digital because I cannot afford the equivalent to it. I like the crispness, clarity, etc.
However, I am going overseas next month and need help to find a camera in the around $200 (give or take a few) - pref. 5mp. I want something easy to operate. I prefer not to get something too slim, just something comfortable to grip and I do prefer an optical lens as well as the LCD. I mostly will take of people, close up, but will also be taking some scenery. I probably should go with something where I can use reg. batteries as well as rechargeable, in case the converter damages my camera if i try recharge batteries in a 220V area (Africa). Some I have looked at on line are:

Kodak easyshare Z730
Olympus Camedia C-5500/csport (I dont expect to take much fast moving things)
Fuji Finepix E550
Looked at : Panasonic Lumix DMC LZ2 (this has the largest optical zoom of ones I have seen in : 6X opt and 4 X Zoom) in the store and it has a nice feel to it but no view finder.
I found a lot do not have viewfinders, if it is not really that important, I can live without it!

I get really confused whether to go for higher MP's or a larger Optical

AND I want to be able to enlarge a select few pics when I get something good, to at least an 8X10 size.

If you know of other cameras that are better, plse advise!

Also, If I stretch my money I can get an 8MP Olympus SP350 for $300 (incl tx and s & h) on the net. Have read that one needs the Olympus XD card rather than just and brand XD, and that is more spendy.

So is it best to spend more and go for the 8pm or stick to the 5mp. I will mostly be using it for my vacation and then odd pics to mostly email. But how close is the 8mp to a 35mm quality, is it worth the money?

Aardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:21 PM   #2

always go for the faster camera. i have found that out the hard way. coming from film to digital will teach you a whole new meaning of what is "moving" and what is not.

you do not need the oly brand xd card. i have a non oly-fuji in my camera and it works fine. some of the oly cards support panorama shots. in my opinion the olympus camedia pano software sucks. i use a free program called autostitch. it works with everything i have ever thrown at it.
omahajames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 9:02 PM   #3

Canon A610
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 3:35 AM   #4

Steer clear of the Olympus

Have you looked at any of the Canon Ixus or Sony Cybershot lines yet?
A couple of nice compacts that match your criterea are the Canon Powershot A610 (5MP, 4X optical zoom lense, vari-angle 2" LCD screen) and the Sony Cybershot DSCW5 (5.1MP, 3X optical zoom).

If you can afford a Fuji Finepix S5200, I'd say go for it!
tennisforums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:02 PM   #5

I speak to over 10,000 digital camera users each year when I conduct digital camera seminars all over the world. There is certainly no reason to avoid the Olympus brand at all. Their E-500 dSLR just received a "highly recommended" rating from www.dpreview.com.

Olympus has produced high quality digital cameras for many years.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:16 AM   #6

tennisforums wrote:
Steer clear of the Olympus

why is this??? they make some crackin lens's for digi cams

i have 2 olympus digi cams, one a compact and a digi slr what give excellent results, just wondered what id missed while using them
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:10 PM   #7

Thank you all, for your input. I appreciate each one. I am off to the store to see and feel these cameras now - have to make a choice this week latest, pref. today.
Happy snappin'!
Aardy is offline   Reply With Quote