Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2005, 6:41 AM   #11

(yikes the amateur dslr debate!)

I've toyed with the amateur dslr option but i chose the sony v1. I went for a pro-sumer camera as I could not afford the £600+ for a DSLR.

I've found that there is more to just picking what is the 'better' camera - hence forces me to do weigh up the differences before spending teh ££

In my research, I've focused on 3 dslr's (the Minolta 5D vs Canon 350D vs the Nikon d50) and each has its pro's and con's.

6mp vs 8mp?
Night shots?
Continuous shooting speed?
Battery life?
Lens (future compatibility)?
shutter lag and start up time?

this list gets longer and longer and there is still lots to learn about choosing the right camera!
kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 7:29 AM   #12

Well, at least we have a choice now.

Up to a few years ago a DSLR wasn't in reach for amateur photogs.

If film is any indication, we'll probably see fast entry level DSLR's that take excellent photos for under$300 US in the next three tofive years.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:00 AM   #13

What does Antishake mean?

I read th reviewof the 300 rebel and they say after so many pics the pictures comeout blurry, is that true?

IMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:46 AM   #14

Antishake, Or image stabilization is a system that is designed to as simply as I can say it, take less blurry pictures. When you are holding a camera and snap a picture, there is a slight movement of the camera, which combined with a slow shutter you get a blurry picture. The Antishake moves the sensor in an opposite direction of the camera shake to balance out the shake and hence a clearer picture. This comes in handy with all handheld shots, especially low light ones (your shutter will be longer to get a good exposure)

note though, if your subject is moving and you have a slow shutter speed, the picture will be blurry. Antishake helps with your movement, not the subjects.

Bottom line, its much better to have than to not have this feature. WIth the Minoltas, you ge this feature on every lens you use, whereas the other manufacturers, you pay for it as an extra feature with each new lens.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:10 AM   #15

First of all, I'm biased (as I have a KM 5D). ;-)

But, I just don't believe that you'd get any better high ISO performance out of the Canon models compared to the 5D.

It's actually quite good, and tests better than the Canon models, too. It's also got an available ISO 3200 setting (missing on both the Canon Digital Rebel and Rebel XT).

In some low light conditions, I've needed ISO 3200 combined with antishake and bright prime to get usable photos.

If you want to shoot in low light without a flash, this model would be very hard to beat.

Dynamic Range is also outstanding when shooting in RAW (less so with JPEG, as it seems to be designed for a bit more contrast for less Post Processing, which is liked by some new DSLR owners).

Our friend Dave Etchells over at imaging-resource has some interesting IMATEST results that you may want to browse through here:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:13 PM   #16

thanks for the responds !

I think im going to get the minolta, i love the pics.
IMAR is offline   Reply With Quote