Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:13 PM   #1

I've got a Canon 20D with a multitude of lenses which I absolutely love, but would also like to have a quality subcompact to take along with me all the time. I was considering the Canon SD550 but have seen samples of the noise at 400 ISO and it's pretty insane. Is that just a fact of life when dealing with smaller image sensors or is there a subcompact which can shoot well under lower light conditions (barring the use of a flash, that is)?
inflictionmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2006, 1:19 PM   #2

I am a Canon D-20 user as well. For my pocket camera I have carried the Fuji F-10 for over a year, and I have been very pleased with its performance. It is not quite as small as the Canon SD-550, but the F-10 is ISO capable up to ISO 1600, with very little noise.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:17 PM   #3

I think the very tiny Fuji Z1 is also fairly good at high ISOs, as far as compact cameras go. Something to look into if you're thinking of getting a camera as small as an SD550.

airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:04 AM   #4

True optical stabilization is good for about 3 f-stops according to the manufacturers. I find it pretty close to that in practice. That means you can shoot at ISO100 with optical stabilization where you would need ISO 800 without it. The problem is it doesn't help for subject movement.

What seems a fair compromise is the new Sony T9. It has true optical stabilization and fairly good high ISO capability. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_t9-review/ I'm not crazy about P&S with no optical viewfinder, but the LCD is better than average. It is also quite small.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote