Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:47 PM   #1

OK, so here's the deal. I am the ultimate novice when it comes to photography. To this point, the extent of my photographic abilities has been focusing and zooming on my Sony Cybershot DSC-TI.

Now I'm ready to get serious. My ultimate goal is to become very proficient in digital SLR photography, focusing on studio work (i.e. headshots, etc.). My skeleton plan is to: buy a digital SLR camera, enroll in a course at the New York Institute of Photography, take a course in Adobe Photoshop and then to build a rudimentary studio in my apartment. I'm not looking to get into this as a career; simply as a concentrated hobby.

I am posting this entry to solicit input and advice on the following topics:

1) What digital SLRs to consider and why? Price range = around $2000

2) Open advice on getting started, lessons learned, things to consider, ancillary costs, etc.

All input is appreciated.

sastre690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:28 PM   #2

I am sorry to say that it is NOT quite that simple. Have you considered becoming an apprentice to a working professional photographer?

That might be a different, and more tangible way to begin your trek?

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:36 AM   #3

Id consider buying one of the more popular dSLRs (EOS350d, E500, KM 5D etc - lots of debate about which to get on here search around etc)

Then Id get some books from library, read up on some websites, join photography forums like this one and basically build my knowledge up slowly.

Sounds like your after a quick fix, which I dont think exists, although mtclimber advice is sound - good luck finding an amiable photographer though

audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote