Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:06 PM   #1

Hi everyone, iam so glad i found this forum iam trying to buy a digital camera,but with

thousands around it is very hard and confusing, well i narrow my search to these two

canon a610 vs kodak v550 they are both 5.0 pixel, here is where i need help, i would like to know some opinions on these two cameras. i am a newbie on digital cameras so i need something that can just P/S, i read somewhere that the kodak its terrible in low light situations (indoors).

any help will be greatly appreciated.
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 2:14 PM   #2

The Canon might have a slight advantage in low light situations, but it would not be a substantial advantage at all. These two cameras are pretty similiar in what they can do. They arehowever, radically different in size. With the Canon A-610 being quite a bit larger than the Kodak V-550 in size.

Reading between the lines a bit, it looks like you might be looking for the classic pont and shoot digital camera. You might not want to deal with manual adjustments. Would it be correct to say that you are looking for a really automatic camera, that just takes the photo?

If that is indeed the case, then the manual features of the A-610 are wasted. Enjoy the Kodak V-550 and you will have a mostly automatic camera in a very convenient pocket size.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 4:12 PM   #3

thank you very much for your input mtclimber
i really appreciated.
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:42 PM   #4

Sorry if this is a dead post, Aztec, but I just wanted to add my $.02. I just got an A610 last Friday and have been toying with it a bit. I upgraded from a Kodak CX4200 I've had for a couple of years which has no manual features and no optical zoom. I love the A610. I don't know yet if my skill at picture taking is better than the preset modes, but I'm trying and learning and having fun. It is a little heavy with 4 AA batteries, but not too bad. With all the features including the swivel lcd (which is awesome) and a price point right near $250, it can't be beat. It even has the option of adding a wide angle or telephoto lens. I have no experience with the V550, but my previous Kodak was a bit of a disappointment. Battery life was horrible. I've shot over 300 pics on Energizer 2200mAH rechargeables and still going strong.

I hope that helps a little. Happy picture taking! :|

My First Post, BTW! Many thanks to Steve as his review helped me choose this over the Kodak Z740.

I attached one of my favorite shots so far:
Attached Images
cversion7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:33 PM   #5

1. If you'd like to take a lot of video, V550 outperforms A610. Crystal-clear video and even optically zoomable, in compact mpeg-4 filesize.

2. If you'd like some manual controls e.g. shutter speed & aperture, you may choose A610. In really awful lighting conditions, manual controls may be useful.

3. Weight - A610 almost 300gram (incl batteries) vs v550 150gram.

4. LCD - A610 flippable but smaller (1.8") vs v550 hi-res 2.5". Also v550 viewing angle is 170.o vs A610 about 60.o only.

5. Color accuracy v550 is better vsA610 may be too vivid/saturated.

Just my humble opinions.

Happy Shooting 2006!

big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:25 AM   #6

I don't like the overprocessed images of the Kodaks, i.e. loss of detail.

Get the Canon A610. It has a 1/1.8" CCD which is bigger than the V550's.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote