Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which Camera?
Casio EX-Z120 0 0%
Casio EX-Z750 0 0%
Canon SD550 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:28 PM   #1

I am looking to upgrade from a 5MP camera to a 7 MP camera.

I am strongly considering the Casio EX-Z120, but have not found any reviews on how the actual prints come out. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has printed their photo's from this new camera!

The EX-Z750 is the alternative, but I think the AA batteries on the Z120 might be a good power alternative.

I am also considering the Canon SD550 because I would have the capability of using it underwater with the case on. Has anyone ever used it in this capacity?

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Jeannie :?
jeannie110670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 8:53 PM   #2

I have cameras with both and much prefer the proprietary battery in a small camera. The shape, size and weight of the lithium batteries give you a more compact and lighter camera. Lithium batteries also have a much lower self-discharge rate. My Z750 will fill a 1 Gig memory card with plenty of power left over. I haven't bothered to buy a spare.

My old Minolta D7i was a battery hog and NiMH was a necessity. But they have improved the electronics to the point that most cameras will fill a fairly large memory card on either lithium or NiMH batteries. I also needed a card reader for older cameras as the download speed was poor. But I haven't bothered with that either for the Casio since the speed is good.

The only downside to the Z750 system is that some people prefer a battery charger for travel and the camera charges on the stand. But the stand is smaller than either of my NiMH chargers and I don't find it inconvenient to carry. I would have to remove the cover from my Maha charger to make it as convenient to carry as the Casio charging stand. I've grown to like the stand. Neither the card nor battery have to leave the camera and it is convenient. I've had the camera for nearly a year and have yet to remove either the battery or memory card from the camera.

The Z750 screen isn't exactly high resolution, but the Z120 is worse. Otherwise I think it will do everything the Z750 will. The lens specs are the same and I think it is the same lens. Someone on the board got a couple of replies from Casio with one saying it was the same lens and the other saying it was a different lens assembly. It is an excellent lens and I anticipate good photos from the Z120. Steve already has it on his best cameras list and hasn't finished the tests. The Z750 and SD550 are also on the list. They are all good cameras.

The SD550 is an excellent camera but a point and shoot. The Casios have full manual controls if you want to use them. They also have better menu settings for sharpening, contrast and saturation. The Z750 is also smaller and lighter than the SD550. The SD550 has a stronger flash than any pocket camera I'm aware of and it probably has a better optical viewfinder than the Casios. LCD resolution is about the same as the Z750. It has an excellent lens.

They seem to have fixed the lens error problem that some of the earlier Z750 experienced. Buy from a high volume dealer to make sure you get one of recent manufacture if you go that route.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote