Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 10, 2006, 11:29 AM   #1

Hello everyone

As said in the subject, I'm really struggling in making a final choice for a digital camera. I'm not a professional, I own at the moment a Sony Cybershot DSC-P5 with 3.2 MP. I

What sort of camera I wish to have:
  • at least 5MP [/*]
  • good for landscape,indoor, night shots,long zoom shots, animals, people, portrait, sunsets, sports and action [/*]
  • a good 12x zoom [/*]
  • effectiveimage stabilizer [/*]
  • fast shutter speed and autofocus [/*]
  • autofocus assistant light / laser [/*]
  • good video capabilites (640x480, 30fps) [/*]
  • (surely) good image & videoquality
After hours and days of reading a lot of reviews and postings, I have a small selection of potentially good cameras, these are:
  • Sony DSC-H1 [/*]
  • Panasonic FZ-30 [/*]
  • PowerShot S2 IS [/*]
  • I'm open for other suggestions / cameras
The more I read the more I'm gettingconfused in choosing one of this cameras. Each has it's shortcomings. :?I have (again) some questions:
  • What can you tell me about the FZ30's noise problem? Some say that it is a big problem, the noise is much more visible than the H1 oder S2 and others say that there is no problem.The noise problem seems to beserious at ISO 400 (or even less). Do I really need to use this high ISO? And is the noise level comparable to the other cameras I mentioned above?
  • I read in some reviews that the the H1's image stabilizer isn't as good as for example in the FZ30.
Is thereone camerawhich suits best for my needs?I tend mostly to the FZ30 because of its features, but I don't want tospend much money on a noisy camera.

I would be very happy in receiving advice from you and sorry for asking so many questions. I want a really good camera for the price I'm going to pay for.

Thank you very much in advance

SimonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:47 PM   #2

I would choose the FZ30, the noise problem is really not that bad. Of course, at 100% zoom onscreen you will see some noise, but you will hardly notice it when you are viewing it on print.

The more concern is in the in-camera noise reduction at high iso. Always leave the in-camera noise reduction to the lowest setting and post-process yourself later on, this way you can avoid the over-processed watercolor look from the camera as much as possible.

curtisfun is offline   Reply With Quote