Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:05 PM   #1

So I've picked up the W5 and I've been taking pictures like mad with it, but I'm not really convinced the camera's good enough. I've played around with the manual modes, the ISO settings, the flash, the exposure, the focus modes, and it seems like it just doesn't want to take good pictures for me. Too often it'll focus on background objects and in lowlight everything foreground is blurry and/or overexposed. Lowlight subjects like taking pictures of friends is just too dark and jacking up the ISO makes it noisy and overexposed.

So what're some alternatives? I want one that's gonna fit in my pocket and one that'll take nice pictures quickly before the moment's gone. I was looking at the Fuji F10. The price is a bit steeper than it is for the Sony. I looking at maybe the Canon A610 but I'm wondering if it's gonna be too bulky to fit in a jeans pocket. Plus I messed around with it's precedessor, the 510 and was not impressed at all. I need something that's gonna take good pictures indoors, low-lights. I'm not a nature photographer and I'm not at the beach everyday. Everyone says it's just user error ifthe W5doesn't take the pictures you want, but I've messed around with every setting I can to no avail. Can someone direct me towards the best camera for what I need?
drfunky17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:50 PM   #2

dr funky-

I too was looking for a very small and portable camera. A friend of mine said to me last Friday:"Why not barrow my Kodak V-530 for the weekend." I love cameras and did not want to hurt her feelings, so I saif: "OK!"

I really was not expecting much at all. But I ended the weekend really amazed. Here was the Kodak V-530 selling for around $210 and it really produced some excellent photos.

The attached photo is a sample of what the V-530 can do. This was a no flash photo taken in a favorite pub. The ISO was set to 400. Take a look at the V-530. This is the image directly from the camera, just reduced to fit on the forum. Perhaps you will be as surprised as I was.

Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote