Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 20, 2006, 3:19 PM   #1

I could use some advice. Currently I am using a Sony DSC-F828.

Primarily I shoot action shots of horses. Which means I need a camera that can work well in less than perfect light to capture action. The DSCF828 just can't cut it – it's just not sensitive enough without being noisy to capture crisp images of rapidly moving subjects. And the purple haze problem is dreadful. But I really like the Sony system and the camera has many good features.

I have considered the new Sony DSCR1. That doesn't seem to have the purple haze problem, but from the reviews it still seems to be noisy at higher ISO settings. And it will only shoot three shots on continuous mode which is really unacceptable for my application.

So, I guess I need to branch out off the Sony line. Any suggestions?

Thanks –

toltstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2006, 4:55 PM   #2

It is most probably not exactly news you want to hear, however, my suggestion would be the Canon 20D with the lens of your choice.

You will have burst mode of 5/fps, ISO 3200, and a hot shoe on which you can mount the flash of your choice.

I professionally shoot lots of existing light concert and stage photos and that is the camera I finally evolved to after a long sucession of unsuccessful cameras while I sought the final answer. Here is a sample photo.

Attached Images
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote