Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 23, 2006, 12:51 AM   #1

I am in the market for a new digicam, upgrading finally from the s230. I want something that is still small enough to throw in my bag, but does not have to be ultra-compact at the expense of features. I have a SLR (not digital), but only drag that out these days for special things, so I want something for every day use that is quick and easy, but also has some "power" for when I want to use it more extensively.

Both of the above cams (s80 and A620) seem to get good reviews - can anyone help me with the differences and why I might choose one over the other? Any other suggestions? someone at the camera store suggested the Olympus 800, but I have never bought Olmypus before....

sleslie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:51 AM   #2

Please! The Olympus Stylus 800 is a turkey! I know, because I own one. Please save yourself the pain of lots of noise and artefacts.

The Canon S-80 offers a wide angle setting lens, but a reduced telephoto capability and costs around $440. The Canon A-620 is not quite as wide but offers more zoom (4X optical zoom) and costs around $325.

My choice would be the Canon A-620.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 11:33 AM   #3

620 hands down ..it's very highly rated allround
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 5:47 PM   #4

I remember having downloaded tens of pictures taken with both a620 and s80... and decided on a620 due to its better low light photo quality (and I had an s70 which suffered from this issue). In fact my dream camera was g6 which is unfortunately far from being pockatable. If only canon had released g7 in the size of a 620!!!how great it would be....However I discovered fujifilm finepix F11 which can shoot up at a iso of 1600. So make sure you visit this link before giving your ultimate decision: http://www.photo.net/photos/hpic Also try the DCRP review .
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote