Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:59 PM   #1

There are very few digital DSLR or point and shoots that have anti- shake. Does anyone know of a camera that ant-shake works well?
picturethisshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:36 PM   #2
Super Moderator

there are several cameras with anti-shake..

the entire line of camera's from Panasonic carry optical image stabilization and they work really well.. i have the lx1, a higher end small digicam and i find it to be a very effective ois.. so i think you can't go wrong with any from their lineup..

canon has the s2is, sony has the h1, minolta has the a200/a2, kodak has the 850, nikon has the 8800..

dslrs- the only one with it integrated into the body is the 5d and 7d from minolta, thought their lineup was purchased by sony.. canon and nikon have image stabilization in the lenses.. i have a couple canon lenses with image stabilization and they work well..

any mechanical or optical image stabilization will give you 2-3 extra stops.. check out some of the models and see what works best for your photography.

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 10:44 PM   #3

i have a konica minolta dimage a1, which has anti-shake, which works perfectly. even at 200mm zoom it's still so clear.

i also have a panasonic fx2 that has anti-shake.

i'm planning on buying a panasonic fz5 soon, which also has OIS. it's needed in the big zooms.

i suggest getting a panasonic camera. there is a wide range and they have perfect image quality.
Taraelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 3:49 AM   #4

Taraelf, I think you should consider FZ7 instead of FZ5, I guess just release, so in a month time shd be able to find it in the store.
I'm also waiting for it :G
armadilloshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 7:42 AM   #5

Keep in mind that antishake is not an answer for everything. It allows you to shoot at shutter speeds much slower than you could without a tripod without getting motion blur from camera shake.

But, you still have limitations. For example, you can't expect to hand hold a camera at 1/2 second shutter speeds consistently if light is too low, even with a short lens (camera shake is magnified as you use longer focal lengths). Antishake won't help with motion blur from subject movement either.

If you plan on shooting in low light without a flash, and are not going to use a tripod (or if your subjects are moving), you may need a model with higher ISO speeds using a brighter lens, too.

I'd give forum members a better idea of the conditions you're planning on using a camera in.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 8:21 AM   #6

I agree...........as/is is not the answer to all pictures coming out clear. It helps some but is not the end of blurry pictures. That option is not at the top of my list when buying a camera.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote