Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:58 PM   #1

Im looking to get a digital camera for the first time.

Im mainly looking for a camera which is nice and small and quite lightweight, something which can be put in my pocket which isnt going to be annoying to carry round.

I intend to the use the camera for general nights out with friends and during holiday, which is more of a lads holiday than taking any scenic shots. So really something which is going to produce some decent enough results with the flash on at night time. Im not looking for a professional image quality, just something which I can take photos quickly and fuss free but also capturing it decent enough. Hard to explain but im sure you know what i mean.
Something around 5 megapixel and of a cost £200. Memory isnt much of an issue because I will probably buy a bigger card but it looks like SD is much cheaper memory compared to xD or MS Duo.

So far after looking around ive narrowed it down to the following:

- Canon ixus 50/55 (sd400/sd450)
- Casio S500
- Sony DSC-T5
- Fuji Finepix Z1

Im more or less pursuaded to get the canon, mainly due to its good reviews and also the fact I have a canon pixma ip5000, which i think the 2 together would produce some great prints. And that the memory is cheaper than the rest.
The sony sounds like a great camera as well, apart from its memory costs.

So anyways, could someone please help me out with which to decide on and put my mind at ease. Im gonna go actually check out the camera first at a jessops store or something before I purchase.

Any help is much appreaciated.

djphatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:38 PM   #2

The Canon SD 450 or SD 550 would be good choices. The SD 550 has a rather strong flash that would seem to work to your advanage. If you prefer AA size batteries, you might want to a look at the Casio z-120.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:47 PM   #3

The Sony T5 has a pitifully weak flash. The new T9 is a great little camera, but the earlier members of the T series are pitiful at flash shots.

I have a Canon printer and don't see any correlation between camera brand and printer brand.

The SD400 and SD500 had problems with the LCD cracking which they have addressed in the SD450 and 550.

The SD450 flash range is very good for a tiny camera, but the SD550 is stronger. You have a choice of a smaller camera or stronger flash. Both are very good cameras.

I don't think the Z1 does anything particularly well. A couple of reviewers have complained of soft images and it doesn't have the great high ISO capability of the F10/11. I think the Fuji F10 or 11 is around the same size and weight as the SD550 and would make an excellent camera for your purposes. It is a tad larger than the SD550 but lighter.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:44 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i dont think you can go wrong with the canon 550.. combine the digic ii image processor with the very nice 7.1mp sensor and you have a camera that will not let you down..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 5:28 AM   #5

Thanks for your replies.
The SD550 (ixus 750) is abit out of my price range, so think im gonna go with the SD450 (ixus 55).

Is the flash reasonably on this model, better than the SD400 (ixus 50)?
djphatic is offline   Reply With Quote