Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 12, 2006, 3:33 AM   #1

Which Should I Buy ? Sony DSC-W7 or Canon D550 ?

================================================== ========

I have a Sony DSC-W5 (5.1 MP) and it got drenched in water by mistake. I need to replace it.

My son purchased the Canon D550 and said the pictures are outstanding. I borrowed a DSC-W7 from a friend. We took pictures of the identical scenes and objects at the same time, and my son enlarged sections with Photoshop. He said the Canon was clearly sharper in each paired set.

* I already own two 512MB fast Memory Pro sticks for the Sony. They don't work in the Canon.

* I like the AA non-dedicated batteries used by the Sony

* The Sony is at least $100 cheaper

* The dial wheel on the Sony seemed more secure

* The Canon is thinner and lighter, but my son said he cannot "force" a flash like one can on the Sony, and there's some slightly annoying red light when the camera must be held steady.

I've looked at five web sites comparing and reviewing these two cameras and cannot decide. When I had the Sony 5 MP camera, my only complaint was that occasionally a picture would be out of focus.

I have examined six web sites featuring specs and reviews of these two cameras and still cannot decide. Camera salespeople seem to slightly prefer the SONY, and claim these two cameras use the same sensor.

I'll check the paired pictures myself soon, but I'd love to hear from anyone here as to which camera they would choose and why.

Thank you !!!

MacPCConsultants is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2006, 3:19 AM   #2

No replies ?

MacPCConsultants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 11:44 AM   #3

I don't know about that spceific Canon.. Have you considered the Canon A610.. A VERY high rated camera.. Lots of people will vouch for it here.

Keep in mind you will still have to buy SD cards, etc.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:44 PM   #4

Viewed 100% the SD550 shots are a little sharper. The question is whether you will see the difference in normal use.

Pbase has over 4000 user photos from the W7. You might look through some: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/sony/dsc_w7 If you find people posting full sized images, go to their galleries from the top of the page. There are fewer SD550 shots: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/powershot_sd550

The W7 does offer more control. And it seems more practical for you since you already have the memory. If you won't be making large prints I wouldn't think you would see a lot of difference.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote