Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1

I would like to get a compactdigital camera which is pretty straightforwardbut am unsure as to which one. Can you advise or give me any comments from your experience of the following cameras. I just want it for taking snaps and carrying around with me most of the time.

Sony DSCT5
Cannon IXUS55
Fuji Finepix Z1
Pentax Optio S5Z

_Tanya_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:40 PM   #2

I have no experience with any of these particular cameras, but I thought you might still be interested in the experience I do have.

When I got my first tiny digital - a Konica/Minolta Xi - 3 Megapixil, I realized I'd finally found what I'd been looking for for 50 years - without even realizing it!

A camera which never leaves my side, takes great pictures and is available for evrything: magazine article you can't finish at the Dentist? Shoot it! Funny looking truck on the freeway? Shoot it! Prof filled the blackboard with notes? Shoot it!

You mentioned that you would keep it with you: good for you. "The camera you have WITH you, gets the picture." I have lugged SLR's around & they never seem to be available when that great shot appears. Even travelling to exotic locations (try: Easter Island & Machu Picchu) I only carry this little camera - it's all you need.

And these tiny cameras DO take great pictures: I have a number of 12"x18" prints hanging on my walls taken with this tiny camera. Yes, even 3 MP can make BIG prints: just be sure to 'resample' the image to 300 dpi using PhotoShop Elements or the like: use IMAGE>RESIZE, set your size & change the dpi (last line in the dialog box) from 72, to 300.

OK one more point: just lately after carrying my Xi in my pocket for a couple of years, I have noticed dust has gotten inside and is reducing the contrast of pictures - bad!

I just got my daughter a similar camera for christmas - a Pentax Optio WPi, which is tiny, waterproof, and has the folded non-protruding lens like the Minolta Xi, and 6 MP (probably more than you need, as even 3 is fine)

The key here is WATERPROOF, & if water can't get in, neither can dust. Do check it out.

Ohlsonmh is offline   Reply With Quote