Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:53 PM   #1

I am searching for a new camera for a cruise. I am will to upgrade to a digital slr but not sure what to buy. I want to be able to take pictures of the scenery and the nature and whales
smmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2006, 6:13 PM   #2

Yes your best bet is obvioulsy a dslr.. The Canon Rebel XT is apparently a good entry level one. I can't tell you much more than that's what I'm working on getting my hands on right now.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:15 PM   #3

Look at the 20D from canon. I like over the Rebel XT because I'm not as concerned with size as some, and it is a more flexibile camera. If size is a serious issue, though, the Rebel XT is a great DSLR.

Try to pick up a good wide angle and a good zoom lens. You'll want a wide angle for pictures on the ship, and a good telephoto for pictures of the whales or other things off the deck. If you can cover 28-200 or 300mm that would be good.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2006, 7:50 AM   #4

If you're going whale watching, water spray on the boat may be an issue with most digital cameras. If this is the case consider the Olympus E-1 whichhas weather seals against rain and alike (the 14 - 54 mm zoom lens (equiv. of 28 - 108 mm in 35 mm terms) is also weather sealed.) The E-1 iswell respected and has a good price now that Oly is rumored to have its replacement in the wings. The "only" draw back is that it does not have a built in flash so you'll have to buy a flash attachment.

Otherwise, consider the Olympus E-500. As I said in an earlier post (http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87 ), the lens kit is arguably the best on the market. The E-500 also has a "dust buster" - dust removal system for the image sensor (very important to me.) It's a very nice camera and takes solid pictures (as just about any DSLR can.)

Have a great cruise!

Paul in NoVA
Olympus E- 500 C- 730

plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote