Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 8, 2006, 5:38 PM   #11

yip i can see it right in front of me it a digital focus ring. doesnt have direct physical connection to prompt direct lense movement but its a focus ring
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 2:47 PM   #12

I had the same debate for the last month and at the end got myself Fuji 9500 two days ago.

Feature for feature both cameras are more or less the same. In my case Fuji won because of the 28mm lens (personally I need it more than 420mm tele end of the zoom), AA type batteries (IMO better and cheaper option), better macro ability and the flash sync speed that goes up to 1/1000 sec (useful for fill-in in bright day-light). Also in my hands Fuji feels better.

I don't care much about ISO 1600, which is not really usable, but it's still there if you need it.

FZ30 shoots faster at 2 frames/sec, LCD is a bit bigger and better and ergonomics may be a little bit better. But I also own Fuji 5500, so I am already familiar with Fuji's menu and it was not a problem for me. I think Fuji's autofocus is a bit faster and better than FZ30, but I can be wrong - I only played with Panasonic for about 20 min in the camera shop.

At the end it's your personal decision, play with both cameras and take the one that feels better for you. You can't go wrong with any of them, they are both fine cameras.

P.S. Don't forget, that IS doesn't help if your subject moves.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 3:06 PM   #13

The 28mm wide angle and the better noise and low light performance of the S9000 (S9500) are the points which were decisive for me...
michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 3:09 PM   #14

Thanks to everyone for all the stellar advice and willingness to share your experiences!
flashbar is offline   Reply With Quote