Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 11, 2006, 2:29 PM   #1

im shopping around for hybrid camcorders....i need help, im very new at this. Which would you reccomend. I'm mainly concerned with video and camera, camera more than video. I don't really care about MP3 feature. Im probably going to use this more for pictures than video, but i still want great video.

At least 5MP Stills
At least 5x Opitcal Zoom
Very Compact, (4 in or smaller in height, slim, maybe?)
Known Name Brand, No new, weird companies ive never heard of.
Nice look, build, cool appearance, ect.
MPEG-4 or better quality video
$800 max.

Do you know any sites that have all or most of hybid camcorders listed, im mainly looking on Amazon, but they're missing alot im sure. What are some of the newest ones in stores now?

I'd really appreciate any help. Thank you!!!!!!!!!

damienbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:31 PM   #2

The Canon Powershot s2 is supposed to have the best video today, and the upcoming s3 (av. June 1) is supposed to have even better video. I'd go with that.
ChrisBrewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 9:43 PM   #3

why don't you try Samsung VP-MS1X Camera, a 6-in-1 camera.. Aside from being a digital still camera it has the following:

This post was edited with all links removed.

A reminder: Commercial posts are against the rules.

Jim C.

dggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:05 AM   #4

Panasonic has announced the TZ1 but it isn't available yet. It is quite compact with an optically stabilized 10X zoom. Leica has been making good lenses for Panasonic cameras and you need stabilization for a long zoom lens – especially in that small a camera with no eyelevel viewfinder. I would want to read some good reviews but they won't be out for a couple of months. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/06...nasonictz1.asp

MPEG4 isn't a quality but a compression. What you are looking for is VGA, 640 X 480 @ 30fps. Cameras without MPEG4 actually do a little better panning than those with it. But MPEG4 takes a lot less memory space on the card. Companies have to pay for MPEG4 licensing and there is a patent dispute going on, so many of the larger companies aren't using it.

I wouldn't have any idea about what looks cool. That is so far from any selection criteria I would use my opinion on that would be worthless.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:39 AM   #5

you can't have everything

except for size the fuji s7000 meets your specs
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote