Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:02 PM   #1

I have a cabinetshop and I want to take pictures of the kitchens I build.I don't know much about cameras and I don't want to learn much more.I do, however, want to have some great pictures.¬* (I'm starting to sound like my customers).I am willing to learn something about lighting and am willing to buy the lights that are necessary.¬* I imagine that I will need some kind of wide angle lense so I think it's going to need to be an SLR.The majority of my pictures will be presented on¬* a website but I may also end up producing a kitchen book.¬* For this reason I would like to capture a lot of raw data for subsequent 4 color press separations.My goals are somewhat different than your average camera¬*aficionado becasue the end customer is also somewhat different.¬* When people are looking at kitchen pictures they are not studying the quality or artfulness of an image.¬* They are just trying to get ideas for their kitchen.For this reason, more pictures are better than better pictures.I figure I can get good enough pictures if I take a lot of them.If I go into a kitchen and take 100 pictures, one or two will be good enough for my needs.If I ever happen across a great shot that is beyond my abilities I will recruit someone else to take the money shot.So I am looking for something simple to operate¬* (point and shoot if possible) but which grabs as many pixels as possible for the kitchen book.I'd like to keep the project under $3000.What type of camera should I be looking for?Thanks,¬*¬*Jarvis
jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2006, 9:55 AM   #2

I take real estate photos as a sideline business. Yes, you assumption that a wide angle camera is a plus is correct. You do not need a dSLR camera, you could easily get by with the Kodak P-880, selling for $399.99 recently at www.costco.com.

Getting the photos that you require, may take some learning about lighting, White Balance, and photo set-up, but you can do it if you desire. If you don't want to go through that learning process, perhaps you can find somebody just like me who specializes in real estate photos and who are used to doing photos such as those you desire.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote