Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:47 PM   #11

Hi I have been looking at the the camera you own now.Or as suggested here inthe review the610(to save a bit)I need it for gem stones. I think your pics look great for what I need. A couple questions for you. When your taking pics of say a 7x5mm item is there alot of croping to do. I know it says you can get within 1 cmfrom the item. I am trying to get a camera that I could take a picture for auction and not have to do alot of croping and such. And how is the down load time.
glensgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2006, 4:47 PM   #12

If you are able to find one, a Nikon "Coolpix" E990, E995, or E4500 has some really phenomenal close-up capability. Here is an image of a U.S. dime, straight from the camera with no cropping. The other images in this album are also uncropped unless the comments say otherwise.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:20 PM   #13

Thanks to all for the comments, guidance and suggestions. I decided to go with the Canon EOS Rebel XT, Canon 60mm macro lens and a Canon extension tube. From the test shots I tried at a photo shop I was able to just about fill the frame and get plenty of detail before cropping. Like the feel of the camera a lot, but would have liked Nikon's larger LCD. Canon's current $100 rebate on the Rebel and the $50 off sale Ifound on the lens rather tipped the scales.
marlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:36 PM   #14

Congratulations! Now your search is over. Enjoy the Canon 350D/XT and post some photos. I love the work that you have been able to do with the Canon A-620.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote