Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 21, 2006, 9:53 PM   #1

I'm buying my first digital camera, and I want to make sure I have something I'll be satisfied with for a while. I seem to have narrowed it down to the Canon Powershot a620, or the 610, but I'm having trouble deciding which. As far as I can tell, the only significant difference is the extra two megapixels of the 620.

The reasons I'm picking those camera to choose from are: photo quality, speed, AA batteries (ok, open to dispute but I like the fact that it leave me more options), good movie recording, along with a fairly good zoom and a few other nice features.

I probably won't be making many prints, but photo quality is my primary criteron. I intend to shoot a wide variety of photos, but my most important are portraits and outdoors scenery (i know, about as opposite as I could manage). Action is not something I'll be too worried about, but I want it to be decent. Price is important, and the 620 is pushing it about as high as I can afford.

Anyone who has either or both cameras, could you let me know if it's worth the extra cash for the extra 2 mp, or could I do better spending it on other accessories?

Oh, and if you think another camera would be better for me, feel free to mention it! Plus, if theres anything important that I should have said, let me know!

jmillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 10:59 PM   #2

The 610 would be a wonderful choice and is highly aclaimed my many users. I have experience with it aswell, and will vouch for it. As for the 610-620 choice.. Stick with the 610.. With the extra cash, buy some extra memory and a set of rechargables.
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 6:59 AM   #3

I agree. The 610 does everything the 620 can do (with one minor exception). Photo quality is excellent. Theextra megapixels shouldn't be that great a requirement for most (they certainly don't for me) and as VWMom has said you can use the money you'll save to buy some extra goodies. Adecent high speed large capacity SD card is another potential purchase.
ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2006, 8:32 AM   #4

Keep in mind that the Canon A-610 at 5mp and the Canon A-620 at 7.2mp use different CCD's or imagers, so there will be a slight difference in the photos produced by each camera, beyond the simple fact that the Canon A-620 has more megapixels.

Since printing large photos is not a priority, and the difference in the resulting photos is not huge, as previously counseled, go for the A-610 and save a bit of money.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:10 AM   #5

Well, thank you for your advice. I just bought the 610 (bundled with a 256 card, not perfect but ok for now), and I still have a few dollars left over for NiMH batteries and charger .

jmillar is offline   Reply With Quote