Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:49 PM   #1

Okay I want to buy a digital camera. Here are the ones I'm thinking about.

Panasonic DMC Lz5 - I really like the image stabilizer and the 6x optical zoom. I'm assuming the IS would be valueable with the high zoom.

Canon Powershot A700 - Looks like a top notch camera with good image quality and good 6x optical zoom.

A620 or A540 - Both these cameras seem like top notch cameras as well, maybe a notch below the A700 (as far as I can see anyways). Lower zooms but better prices and good cameras.

So here's my problem. Having the A700 with high zoom and no IS, would it be fairly difficult to take clear and sharp pictures (with no tripod) while zoomed in at 6x? Do any of you have difficulties with handmovements while taking high zoom pictures. Keep in mind I've never taken a picture of more than 2.8x optical zoom.

rk219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2006, 10:03 AM   #2

If it were me, I'd go for the A620. Slightly higher on the pixel front but a bit cheaper. Its 4x zoomis plenty good enough in most instances unless you're into something like wildlife photography (in which case is a compact digicam really what you need?).

The fold away LCD screen is a great idea too......don't think the A700 has this?

Can't really comment on the Panasonic but if you really want a super-zoom, I think IS is always going to be useful.

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote