Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:05 AM   #1

Hi everyone!!

I'm italian, so excuse me if I make mistakes in writing.

I want to buy a camera with a great zoom and I've seen the models in the subject.

I've ever loved the Minolta brand, but in the review I've read something about noise in the picture and now I'm very confused.

Please give me some advices for choosing a good camera.

If you know other good models with great zoom, please tell me (also nikon or fuji).

Thank you very much

nino79rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2006, 4:33 AM   #2

The KM Z6 makes only sense if you really get it cheap, because Konica Minolta is leaving the camera business. Because the Z6 has no good movie mode, I would prefer the Z5. As far as image quality is concerned the Z6 should be almost as good as the S2. All cameras with a tiny 1/2.5" CCD have noise problems, especially with iso > 100. On the other hand the S2 is more versatile. It has a nice flip out display, an excellent movie mode and a panorama assist for shooting panos without tripod. The S2 prices are also falling currently but haven't reached the bottom yet.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 5:19 AM   #3

The Canon Powershot S2 does everything better than the Z6, so go for that instead.

Great cameras with long zoom :

Panasonic Lumix FZ7, FZ30

Canon Powershot S2, S3

Konica Minolta A200

Sony DSC-H1, H2, H5

Kodak Easyshare P880

Any one of those would be excellent. However, Panasonics have above average noise, and the Canons have fairly weak low light performance.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 9:15 AM   #4

Your best choice, based on your post would be the Canon S-2.

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 11:57 AM   #5

Hi Nino,
I'm italian too and I have the same problem on buying a new camera...(I'll write in english in respect of the other users of the forum).
I have restricted my selection on two cameras: one is the Canon S2 and the other is the Panasonic FZ20.
The second one is now very cheap (around 410 euros...the camera hit the market in the 2004 at about 600 euros and now the price is at its bottom) and it comes with superb Leica lens, which aid to produce beautiful colors without noticeable noise (at ISO 100...but with f2.8 even at the max tele extention you can avoid using ISO200 or more in the 90% of cases)...on the other hand it is heavier and doesn't have the flip screen and the S2's great movie mode (but limited at 1 Gbyte so the max lenght of a movie is 7 minutes).

The choice is (4 me) very difficult and i hope that someone would give me a good advise...

PS. Hey Nino, se scegli la Canon S2 la trovi con una rapida ricerca (sui più famosi siti di comparazione prezzi: fai una ricerca per -trova prezzi-) a 389€!

zakka76 is offline   Reply With Quote